The Democratic Party needs to be a real alternative to the Republicans. Mark Henricksen has submitted a detailed statement of ideas from which to commence the conversation of what we as Democrats believe.
In my estimation, the main issues for Democrats must be these:
- Fund state government by repealing the income tax and gross production tax giveaways for wealthy tax payers and corporation.
- Support health care as a right for all Americans and get insurance companies out of the equation.
- Support paid medical and family leave to make working in America feasible for all people.
- Embrace the reality that the current generations may be the first to feel the real effects of climate change and the last generation with a chance to address it.
- Adopt policies to fight growing income inequality in America both because it is the moral thing to do and because failing to accomplish this is the greatest threat to democracy facing our nation.
- Adopt specific policies to disconnect the pernicious effects of money on politics.
These and other ideas are more fully developed on the policy page attached. It is our belief that before we talk about the technical points of reorganizing the party, we are Democrats must agree on a message which will motivate the grass roots to engage, to leave their couches and their comfort zones and to participate in taking back our party.